Here is what the majority of the landscape looks like unless you are a member of the Paddock Club. Its a moonscape with very little grass, out side of the reflecting pool area.
Here are my thoughts for those planning to attend:
1. Ladies - the boots and heels look great, but do yourself a favor and wear practical shoes if you are in the cheap seats.
2. Domestic Beers - $8.50, Import Beers - $9.50. Highway robbery but people are paying it. Haven's really seen any ridiculously drunk people yet, maybe they will be out today.
3. Food - lunch was $22.00 for basically a burger and fries, no drink. Extortionate. Luckily it was good, if not too much food. Bring a powerbar.
4. Dust - is everywhere, you will leave like a cowboy coming off a long ride. Dusty.
5. Grandstands - you can only sit in your assigned grandstands, so all weekend no hope of checking out other views. Disappointing, what if we wanted to scope out other grandstands for next year?
6. General admission - GA is actually really good minus the lack of grass. Good slopes and plenty of space.
7. Toilet facilities - could use some blockhouses, maybe in the future COTA? Plenty of Port-a-Johns and so far only one has been 'unusable' due to user error....
8. Parking - the people attending the lots are trying to grip traffic control, some flows well and other times it logjams. Just be patient. As noted earlier it's not the worst traffic I have experienced at a race.
9. COTA merchandise - I am not really one that goes for that but in general if you want COTA merchandise be prepared to wait. Small stalls and overwhelmed staff. Lines are longer than for food (which is saying something).
10. Hydrate - water isn't cheap so do yourself a favor and bring some, some for car afterwards too. Sun is hot and environment is arid. Might be windy again today (like Friday) which kicks the crap out of you and compounds what the sun is doing.